Do people mess up their IPL Advertising campaigns?
-
I’ve been watching a lot of IPL ads lately and it made me wonder something. Is it just me, or do some IPL Advertising campaigns feel like they’re missing the point? I see tons of ads during the season, but not all of them seem to connect with cricket fans. That got me curious about what mistakes advertisers might be making when they run these campaigns.
A while back I was discussing this with a few friends who work around digital marketing and affiliate traffic. One thing that kept coming up was how many advertisers jump into IPL Advertising simply because the tournament has massive attention. The thinking is basically “everyone is watching IPL, so ads will automatically work.” But honestly, it doesn’t always play out that way.
The first mistake I keep noticing is poor audience targeting. Just because someone watches cricket doesn’t mean they will respond to every type of ad. Some campaigns treat the entire IPL audience like one big group, which usually leads to weak engagement. Fans have different interests, habits, and even browsing behavior depending on the platform they use.
Another issue is timing. I’ve seen campaigns that run ads randomly throughout the day instead of focusing on when fans are actually active. A lot of people check match updates, scores, and highlights right before or during games. If the campaign isn’t aligned with those moments, the ad tends to get ignored.
I also noticed that many advertisers use generic creatives. The ads look like standard banners that could appear during any event. During IPL season, fans are already surrounded by cricket content, so bland ads don’t really stand out. Campaigns that mention match excitement, teams, or the ongoing tournament usually feel more relevant.
One thing I personally underestimated before was how important the ad format can be. Some marketers rely only on traditional display banners, but those often get skipped quickly. In contrast, formats like native placements or push notifications sometimes catch attention better because they blend into the browsing experience.
While trying to learn more about this topic, I came across a guide explaining different strategies used during IPL campaigns, especially for betting related traffic. It breaks down several practical things advertisers should think about before launching campaigns. If anyone is curious, I found this explanation of IPL betting ads pretty helpful for understanding how these campaigns are structured.
Another mistake I’ve heard about from other marketers is starting campaigns too late. By the time they launch ads, a lot of the competition has already optimized their targeting and creatives. Early testing during the first matches can make a big difference because you get time to adjust based on performance.
Budget allocation is another area where things can go wrong. Some advertisers spend most of their budget at the beginning without testing multiple variations. When the campaign doesn’t perform well, there’s no room left to experiment or fix the strategy.
After reading and observing all this, it feels like successful IPL Advertising is less about spending big and more about understanding the audience and the timing of the event. The brands that seem to perform better usually run campaigns that actually feel connected to the tournament instead of just appearing during it.
Anyway, that’s just my observation from watching a lot of campaigns over the past few seasons. I’m curious if anyone else here has noticed similar patterns or different mistakes advertisers tend to make during IPL campaigns.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login