I run network operations at a regional ISP.
-
Hello everyone. I run network operations at a regional ISP. Our RIPE allocation is exhausted and the board finally approved buying a /22. My worry is the transaction itself: sending a few thousand euros to a stranger for a block that only exists as a record in a registry feels risky. How do you protect yourself on a purchase? Do brokers actually offer escrow, and how long does the RIR transfer take? Any red flags to watch for? The ISP is only twelve people, so there's no spare legal team to review exotic contracts.
-
Escrow is the key word here. On the InterLIR IPv4 marketplace they mention complex deals with escrow and describe themselves as a registered broker, so I'd ask for the escrow terms in writing before any money moves. Red flags I'd watch for: sellers who can't prove they are the registered holder, blocks listed far below market, and pressure to pay first. Also expect the RIR side to take a while, often one to two weeks at RIPE, so get your LIR to confirm the transfer path early. I'd also split the payment into milestones if the broker allows it, tied to the transfer approval rather than to a calendar date. Escrow also helps with timing, because funds are released only after the registry confirms the change.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login