Skip to content

I'm a freelance designer and I often send clients portfolios and proposals

General Discussion
2 2 2
  • Hey everyone. I'm a freelance designer and I often send clients portfolios and proposals as PDFs. Recently a client pointed out that my file properties still showed the name of my old agency as the author, plus the title of a completely different project. Embarrassing. How do you check and clean that hidden PDF info before sending? I work on a Mac at home and on a Windows laptop at client meetings, so ideally the tool works on both. Also looking for a decent set of everyday tools for merging and compressing, since I do this weekly.

  • Ha, happened to me too, an old template with my ex-employer's name in the author field. For that I use the metadata tool in Convert2PDF, a set of free PDF tools that run in the browser. You can view, change or remove properties like author, title and subject before sending. For weekly work the same site covers merging portfolios, compressing heavy files and turning image mockups into one PDF. Everything stays on your computer, which clients with NDAs tend to appreciate. It doesn't touch the design itself, so for fixing layout you'll still need your normal software. Our HR does the same with salary files, so it's not just a designer thing. Get into the habit of checking properties as a last step, it takes ten seconds.

    alt text