I've been comparing a lot of Shopify stores lately, and one thing keeps standing out. Some stores have excellent products, professional branding, and plenty of advertising behind them, yet they barely receive any organic traffic. Then there are other stores in the same niche that seem to dominate search results without having noticeably better products.
It made me wonder what actually separates a Shopify store that performs well in search from one that relies almost entirely on paid ads.
At first, I assumed it was mostly about keywords and backlinks, but after reading more about Shopify SEO, it seems the picture is much more complicated. Technical SEO, collection page optimisation, product descriptions, internal linking, structured data, page speed, and even how products are organised all appear to influence long-term visibility.
While looking into different approaches, I came across this page:
https://equinox.company/service/shopify-seo
Another thing I've noticed is that many Shopify store owners install several SEO apps expecting them to solve everything automatically. They improve certain tasks, but they can't create a content strategy, identify keyword opportunities, or fix weak category pages. From what I've seen in various community discussions, stores often struggle with duplicate product descriptions, thin collection pages, slow mobile performance, missing image alt text, and crawlability issues—problems that no plugin can completely solve on its own.
Collection pages are especially interesting. A lot of stores simply display a grid of products with almost no additional information. Yet these pages often target broad, high-volume search terms and can become some of the most valuable landing pages on an ecommerce site. If they don't provide enough context for users or search engines, it seems like a missed opportunity.
I've also been thinking about product descriptions. Many online stores still copy the manufacturer's default text because rewriting hundreds of products takes time. But if dozens of retailers are publishing exactly the same content, it becomes difficult to understand why Google would choose one over another. Creating original descriptions sounds like a huge investment, but I wonder whether it's one of those tasks that pays off over time.
Then there's site speed. Every extra app promises better reviews, upsells, analytics, chat, or marketing automation, but every new feature also adds scripts that can slow the site down. Finding the right balance between functionality and performance seems to be an ongoing challenge for growing Shopify stores. Community discussions suggest that slow mobile pages remain one of the most common technical SEO issues merchants face.
With AI search becoming more common, I'm also curious whether Shopify stores need to think differently about SEO over the next few years. Clear product information, structured data, and well-organised content seem likely to become even more valuable if AI assistants increasingly recommend products directly instead of simply showing traditional search results.
For those of you who manage Shopify stores, what change had the biggest impact on your organic traffic? Was it improving technical SEO, rewriting product content, reorganising collections, earning backlinks, or something completely different?
I'd love to hear real experiences from people who have grown a Shopify store through organic search rather than relying almost entirely on paid advertising.